Sunday, January 18, 2015

The modern day marriage

"Wives, submit to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything. Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her." Ephesians 23-25

My girls like this particular show on T.V. about an animal that has a blog. I've actually had to stop them from watching it because of the message that it portrays. The show itself is not bad. It's about an animal that talks and only the children can hear, and then he writes a blog telling about his families adventures. The problem I have with the show is the fact that the husband, who on the show is a child psychologist, is made out to be a complete idiot. He doesn't have the respect of his wife, his children, or sometimes even his patients.

 I want to show my children what a biblical marriage looks like. Biblically I am called to submit to my husband, not make him look like a baboon in front of our children, or our friends. 

One of the things I see all too often is a wife belittling or talking about her husband negatively to him in front of people, or to her girlfriends. Ladies, this can ruin a marriage! If your husband feels disrespected then you're going to not feel loved. If you haven't read Love and Respect I suggest you do. 

I have been guilty of this. I have been guilty of correcting my husband in front of others, I have been guilty of saying, "You are being stupid," now let me tell you I was joking at the time, but I could see the look on my husband's face when I said it, and it broke me. Words are so strong, the old saying "Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" is WRONG! Words do hurt, and we are called to be Christ-like, we are called in   Philippians 2 v5 We our told "In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus" Do you think Christ would belittle someone or talk bad about someone? Absolutely not! Neither should we! 

Do something for your husband this week, Just Because! Something you know that he will like. 

Scripture to pray over your husband:
Ephesians 4:1-2
Ephesians 5: 25-29
Proverbs 22:29
Psalm 46:1
Proverbs 11:3
1 Corinthians 10:13
Proverbs 28:27
Luke 16:13
Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment